Meet The Father-Daughter Oak Brook Attorneys
David E. Hoy, Attorney at Law
Attorney David E. Hoy is the senior partner of The Law Offices of Hoy & Sahlas, Ltd. and has 30+ years of experience as an attorney. The Law Offices of Hoy & Sahlas, LLc. was formerly known as The Law Offices of David E. Hoy when Mr. Hoy founded the firm in 1985.
Northern Illinois University and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Elmhurst College.
Mr. Hoy has been in private practice since 1985 with offices in the western suburbs of Chicago. For over 30 years, he has concentrated his practice in Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Business Law, Condominium Representation and Commercial Real Estate. He is a registered title agent with Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, Fidelity National Title & Insurance Company, and First American Title Insurance Company.
Mr. Hoy serves on the Public Policy Committee of the Greater Oak Brook Chamber of Commerce. He currently serves as Board Chairman for Keep Believing Ministries, an international Not-for-Profit Christian ministry. Mr. Hoy has also served on the Planned Giving Committee of Elmhurst College and is past chairman of the Oak Park & River Forest branch of CBMC International (f/k/a Christian Businessmen’s Committee and n/k/a Connecting Business and the Marketplace to Christ); and is past chairman of a large church in Oak Park, Illinois. He is a member of the Du Page County Estate Planning Council, the Christian Legal Society, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Elmhurst Chamber of Commerce, the Greater Oak Brook Chamber of Commerce and formerly with the Oak Park - River Forest Chamber of Commerce.
For decades, Mr. Hoy has given seminars on Estate Planning for clients of various financial service firms and not-for-profit organizations in Chicago and the western suburbs. Click here to view a clip of his seminar on the benefits of a living trust.
Prior to beginning his private law practice in 1985, Mr. Hoy was employed with Chicago law firms in the roles of both plaintiff’s and defendant’s counsel. His business experience prior to law practice includes nine years as a Manager of Compensation, Benefits and Human Resources for three different major U.S. corporations.
In his free time, Mr. Hoy enjoys singing, fishing, hiking, teaching Bible classes, and playing guitar at his church in Western Springs, Illinois. Mr. Hoy and his wife have been married for 46 years, and together have conducted marriage seminars for decades at various churches in the Greater Chicago Metro Area. His wife, Lynette, is a counselor, author and owner of CounselCare Connection, P.C. and the Anger Management Institute.
Attorney Colleen L. Sahlas received her Juris Doctor degree in May, 2000, from the John Marshall Law School and after passing the bar exam upon first examination, she was admitted to practice law in Illinois in November, 2000. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Mrs. Sahlas joined her father’s firm in January, 2000, and became a partner in 2006. Prior thereto, Mrs. Sahlas clerked for a private insurance defense firm in Chicago’s loop and interned with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office prosecuting as a student attorney in several trials, prevailing in all.
Mrs. Sahlas concentrates her legal practice in business, real estate, estate planning, guardianships of minors and disabled adults, and decedents’ estates including trust and estate administration, small estate affidavits, and Illinois probate in Cook and DuPage Counties.
Since 2000, Mrs. Sahlas has been working in estate planning and estate administration, having handled numerous, complex probate matters, trust administration and other decedent’s estates. A noted leader in trusts and estates, Mrs. Sahlas has authored articles on probate published in the Illinois State Bar Association’s Trusts and Estates Newsletter, is serving her second term on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Trusts and Estates Council, is the Associate Editor for the ISBA’s Trusts and Estates Newsletter, and is a member of the DuPage County Estate Planning Council.
Mrs. Sahlas is a recognized authority in residential real estate law in Illinois as she has been referenced in articles for the Illinois Bar Journal and authored articles for the Illinois State Bar Association’s Real Property Newsletter. She has represented innumerable buyers and sellers in residential real estate transactions. She is a registered title insurance agent with Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company and a member of the Illinois Real Estate Lawyer’s Association.
Mrs. Sahlas is a classically trained Mezzo-Soprano and is a member/occasional soloist with the Apollo Chorus of Chicago, founded in 1872 and directed by the renowned Dr. Stephen Alltop. She also enjoys singing at her church, running, traveling with her husband, and learning German, Greek, and French languages.
Mrs. Sahlas’ Publications:
- Aug., 2016: “What NOT to include in Your Attorney Modification Letters,” in the ISBA’s Real Property Newsletter
- March, 2016 : “A Baker’s Dozen Considerations before Probating Small or Insolvent Decedents’ Estates,” in the ISBA’s Trusts & Estates Newsletter
- Sept., 2015: ”Become More Efficient by using a Probate Checklist,” in the ISBA’s Trusts & Estates Newsletter
- June, 2014: “6 Strategies to Better Represent Sellers of Real Estate,” in the ISBA’s Real Property Newsletter
- April, 2011: “Five Reasons to Collect a Retainer up Front in Lieu of Getting Paid at the Closing,” in the ISBA’s Real Property Newsletter
- June, 2011: Quoted in the Illinois Bar Journal’s cover story, “How to Be a Good Closer,” regarding her real estate expertise.
- Aug., 2006, Quoted in the Illinois Bar Journal article, “Beyond ’Deed and Green’: . . . ,” regarding the attorney’s role real estate deals.
Mrs. Sahlas’ Awards & Memberships:
- Council Member with the ISBA’s Trusts & Estates Section Council for 2016-2017 and 2015-2016 terms and Associate Editor of the Council’s Publications Committee.
- July, 2014: Awarded “Best of ISBA Newsletters” for her June, 2014 article, which was chosen from nearly 40 different ISBA newsletters that produce over 200 articles each year. She was featured in the July, 2014 Illinois Bar Journal article, “Best of ISBA Newsletters” which encouraged all Illinois attorneys to “see Sahlas’ article for more great seller’s-attorney tips.”
- Awarded “Champion Poster” from the ISBA for “sharing her skills, experience and legal knowledge.”
- Member of the DuPage County Estate Planning Council, the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), the Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association,the Greater Oak Brook Chamber of Commerce, and the Elmhurst Chamber of Commerce.